quizballs 270 - general knowledge quiz - questions & answers
free general knowledge quiz questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
Quiz intro ...
This is a Businessballs Quizballs free quiz. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
Below are the quiz answers. Here are the quiz questions without answers.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
see the quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 270 - free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- Coach, Hex cap, Lag, and Machine are types of what? Screws
- A sous-chef is what sort of chef: Pastry; Trainee; Deputy; or Breakfast? Deputy (to the head chef - sous is French for under)
- In what modern country substantially were the Hittite people? Turkey
- A pipistrelle is a type of: Bat; Cat; Rat; or Gnat? Bat
- What army rank (English/US/etc) equates to the naval Lieutenant Commander? Major
- Millefiore is a highly detailed and colourful decorative art of what material? Glass (originating in Italy - it means thousand flowers)
- What body-part and lubricant are a traditional metaphor for physical effort such as scrubbing and polishing? Elbow grease
- The site/name of which Napoleonic victory gave its name to a chicken/veal dish served with tomato, egg and crayfish? Marengo (after the village near Turin - the dish is said to have been prepared for Napoleon after the 1800 battle)
- What word prefixes the following words to make five new words: Call, Kin, Nip, Suit, Walk? Cat
- A season in which woodland trees produce extraordinarily big volumes of fruit/nuts/seeds is called a '(What?) Year': Most; Mist; Must; or Mast? Mast (mast is from an old English/Germanic word 'maest' for nuts, probably meaning meat - 2013 is a mast year in the UK)
- What is the Japanese Abashiri brewery's beer, a portmanteau from its ingredients: Beat (meat); Begg (egg); Bilk (milk); or Bash (cannabis)? Bilk (beer made from milk)
- Campylobacter bacteria is commonly associated with: Tooth decay; Food poisoning; Tuberculosis; or Yoghurt? Food poisoning
- What 'First' was French (1792-1804), Austrian (1919-34), Portuguese (1910-26) and Roman c.508BC? Republic
- What is the common name of the frottoir percusssion instrument (from Cajun French 'frotter', rub)? Washboard
- Named from Greek 'earth' what traditional anti-itching lotion is made from zinc oxide and tiny part of ferric oxide? Calamine (from Greek kadmos, earth, via Latin calamina)
- Satellite is a computer notebook/tablet model brand of which corporation? Toshiba
- Elisabeth Beresford devised what fancifully famous litter recycling franchise in 1968? The Wombles (the children's TV animated furry characters of Wimbledon Common)
- In 2013 Birmingham UK opened Europe's biggest: Skating-rink; Zoo; Public library; or Doctor's surgery? Public library (in Centenary Square, on 10 levels; it could have been 11, but that's another storey)
- Meccanica Verghera prefixes which famous motorcycle maker's name? Agusta
- The Cadbury Report of 1992 established the first major code for what regulatory aspect of business/economics? Corporate Governance (see Corporate Governance)
quizballs 270 - free quiz questions only for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes