This webpage is a new format for mobile/small screens. Please send your feedback if it fails to operate well. Thanks.
quizballs 253 - general knowledge quiz - questions without answers
free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This is a Businessballs Quizballs quiz. Quizballs are free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
quizballs 253 - free general knowledge questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- A long-term experiment to demonstrate the viscosity of pitch (bitumen) at Australia's University of Queensland saw how many drops fall from a funnel of pitch between 1930-2012: 8,000, 800, 80, or 8?
- What British army bugle call used at funerals originally signalled the end of the military day after final inspection?
- The main purpose of a bowline knot is to produce a: Loop (at a rope-end); Join (to another rope); Join (to a ring or post); or Stop (in roller/retaining devices)?
- Who, founder of the Mongol Empire, was the grandfather of the Mongol leader Kublai Khan (1215-94)?
- Meaning 'quiet loud' what is the full modern Italian name for the piano?
- Which people originated the game lacrosse? Dutch; Scottish; Native Americans; or Chinese?
- Previously called Ezo/Yezo/Yeso/Yesso, what is Japan's north and second-largest island?
- What name for a type of railings/fence originally referred to a defensive line of wooden stakes sharpened and angled into the ground?
- Which two creatures support the shield on Australia's official Coat of Arms (symbol)?
- What is the traditional Italian name for the text of an opera or musical?
- The North Atlantic Drift ocean current over NW Europe starts as what at the US Florida Strait?
- Cassia refers to variants of which spice?
- Chordata, Echinodermata, Anthropoda, and Anelida are four phyla (subgroups) of: Animals; Worms; Birds; or Plants?
- What hero from Greek mythology was killed by a discus thrown by Apollo, who then named a flower after him, made from his spilled blood?
- Which country since the late 1900s has governed/overseen the increasing independence of the New Caledonia archipelago, east of Australia?
- Lentils grow on: Trees; Bushes; Grasses; or Water?
- What gambling game is also a term for a perforating tool/process, e.g., to sheets of postage stamps?
- Serpula lacrymans is the technical name for what affliction of wood, notably in buildings?
- Someone whose occupation is a gillie (or ghillie) works where: Slaughterhouse; Airport; Post-office; or Scottish Highlands?
- What two-faced Roman god of beginnings and transitions is a name for a word which has two opposite meanings, and the derivation of the first month of the year?
quizballs 253 - free quiz answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes