quizballs 242 - general knowledge quiz - questions without answers
free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This is a Businessballs Quizballs quiz. Quizballs are free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
and see the new quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 242 - free general knowledge questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- Cape, Katanga, Masai, Barbary and Asiatic are generally considered sub-species of what 'apex' predator?
- The centenary 2013 Chelsea Flower Show temporarily lifted a ban on what in its gardens?
- Milankovitch Cycles theory analyses changes in what, according to long-term movements of planet Earth: Climate; Population; Gravity; or Personality/mood?
- A metal ring or grommet in a sail or other nautical attachment, through which a rope passes is a: Tingle; Mingle; Cringle; or Pringle?
- A stilb is a measure of: Sound; Luminance; Velocity; or Equilibrium?
- What famous maker of organs used in pop/rock music since the 1960s is an acronymic abbreviation of the Italian for "United Factory of Accordions'?
- In ancient Greek mythology the godly personification of the sky, Uranus, had his what cut off: Ears; Arms; Testicles; or Bottom?
- Charles Stent practised what surgery, for which he invented his eponymous technique: Dental; Heart; Orthopedic (bone/skeletal); or Tree?
- From Greek words meaning 'flesh preserver' what coal-tar oil was widely used in wood treatment and medicine?
- London's Wembley Arena (next to Wembley Stadium) was built in 1934 as what sort of sporting facility, reflected in what original name (two answers required)?
- The US company Shubb is famous for making small metal engineered gadgets for: Stringed instruments; Fishing; Cooking; or Cycling?
- The nickname of 9th century Islamic mathematician Abu Ja'far Muhammad ibn Musa ('al-Kwarizmi' - the man of Kwarizm) is the etymological source of what computing term?
- Bakalva and börek (Turkey/central Asia), birnbrot (Switzerland), bear claw (USA), and briouat (Morocco) are types of what?
- What was the name given in Ancient Greek mythology to the time/situation before the creation of the universe: Chaos; Void; Neutron; or Galaxy?
- Name the fictional suburb in Ira Levin's 1972 novel which became an expression for a wife who submissively obeys her husband?
- What logical common name is given to the cells which initiate cardiac contraction and so control heart rate?
- What cereal breakfast is a humorous metaphor for prison?
- What informal rule, named after Intel Corp's co-founder, predicts the doubling of transistors on microchips every two years?
- What Italian word for 'it follows' refers to a smooth transition between two items, especially musical pieces?
- What is the formal (systematic) chemical name for the alcohol in intoxicating drink: Methanol; Ethanol; Propan; or Methylbutan?
quizballs 242 - free quiz answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
quizballs main page - more free trivia quizzes questions and answers
The use of this material is free provided copyright (see below) is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the www.businessballs.com website. This material may not be sold, or published in any form. Disclaimer: Reliance on information, material, advice, or other linked or recommended resources, received from Alan Chapman, shall be at your sole risk, and Alan Chapman assumes no responsibility for any errors, omissions, or damages arising. Users of this website are encouraged to confirm information received with other sources, and to seek local qualified advice if embarking on any actions that could carry personal or organisational liabilities. Managing people and relationships are sensitive activities; the free materials and advice available via this website do not provide all necessary safeguards and checks. Please retain this notice on all copies.
© A and V Chapman 2013. Quizballs 2004-2013.