quizballs 229 - general knowledge quiz - questions without answers
free general knowledge quiz - questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This is a Businessballs Quizballs quiz. Quizballs are free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
and see the new quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 229 - free general knowledge questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
- What is the common name of the plant, Nepeta cataria, which attracts cats?
- Even-toed ungulates and odd-toed ungulates refer to animals whose feet usually are: Hoofed; Webbed; Clawed; or Padded?
- What mythical god has a hammer called Miolnir (or Mjölnir, or other variants)?
- What colour/color is a palamino horse: Black; White; Grey; or Gold with a white main/tail?
- In 1515 the Court of Aldermen of the City of London established what trade as top (based on economic/political power) of an enduring list of livery companies: Mercers; Goldsmiths; Drapers; or Vintners?
- In astronomy, the Ptolemaic system asserts that Earth is: Universally Central; Stationary and Flat; Spinning around the Moon; or Spinning around the Sun?
- Litmus, used in acidity testing, is extracted from: Rock; Insects; Milk; or Lichen?
- The term Zealotry originally referred to people of which religion?
- The terms: sine, cosine, tangent, hypotonuse, adjacent and opposite feature in which branch of mathematics?
- What is the English name/translation of the 'cire purdue' process of bronze casting?
- Auger, reel, fan, sieves, stripper-beater, and cutter-bar are parts of what large piece of machinery?
- Name the steel-driving railway worker from US folklore who raced and beat a newly introduced steam-powered hammer, but died after his efforts?
- The Poise (pronounced 'pwahz', it's French) is a unit of measuring: Viscosity; Purity; Sweetness; or Stillness?
- What prefix joins with the following words, referring to different creatures: Lion, Cow, Horse, and Cucumber?
- The Ottoman Empire (1299-1922) is otherwise defined as the empire of what modern nationality?
- The literary term 'graphic novel' refers to a novel characterized essentially by: Sex; Pictures; Handwriting; or Electronic display?
- What branch of alternative medicine using natural oils derives its name from ancient Greek for spice?
- The New Model Army and The Levellers were groups in which war?
- A graviton is a term in: Physics; Law; Funeral services; or Winter sports?
- What two expressions, each meaning an irreversible decision or 'no turning back', originate from a tactical river crossing by Julius Caesar's army in 49BC (two answers required, and a clue for one of them: the Latin is 'jacta alea est')?
quizballs 229 - free quiz answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
quizballs main page - more free trivia quizzes questions and answers
The use of this material is free provided copyright (see below) is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the www.businessballs.com website. This material may not be sold, or published in any form. Disclaimer: Reliance on information, material, advice, or other linked or recommended resources, received from Alan Chapman, shall be at your sole risk, and Alan Chapman assumes no responsibility for any errors, omissions, or damages arising. Users of this website are encouraged to confirm information received with other sources, and to seek local qualified advice if embarking on any actions that could carry personal or organisational liabilities. Managing people and relationships are sensitive activities; the free materials and advice available via this website do not provide all necessary safeguards and checks. Please retain this notice on all copies.
© A and V Chapman 2012. Quizballs 2004-2014.