quizballs 185 - diversity/words quiz 2 - questions without answers
free language diversity and general knowledge quiz - questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This quiz illustrates the diversity of the English-speaking world. The words in the answers came into the English language from different languages. They reflect cultural diversity - people of different nationalities and ethnicities, etc., mixing together, and often adopting cultural behaviours as well as the language.
This is a Businessballs Quizballs quiz. Quizballs are free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
and see the new quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 185 - free language diversity and general knowledge questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
For each question, what is the 'non-English' word that was adopted into English, from the source language(s) shown:
- Forbidden, unmentionable - from Tongan?
- Mountain guide, and 1975 British Leyland van brand, later the Leyland Daf Pilot - from Tibetan?
- Seasonal South Asia wind and accompanying rainfall - from Dutch?
- Long wrap-around skirt meaning sheath or quiver - from Malay?
- Clumsy awkward person, whose earlier root gave us also 'clot' in English - from Yiddish?
- Variety (of choices) - from Swedish?
- The same (not the same as the question above, simply, 'the same') - from Italian?
- The phonetic neutral vowel sound shown as ə - like the 'eh' at the end of 'sofa' and the start of 'along' (whose symbol is an inverted 'e') - from German - and bonus point - a different word meaning the same thing from Hebrew instead?
- Ghost or spirit, typically unseen and moving things - from German?
- Isolation, quarantine, or secrecy - from Persian/Urdu?
- Beer brewed for storing/keeping - from German?
- Long story - from Old Norse?
- Massacre of an ethnic group - from Russian/Yiddish?
- Joy in the misfortune of others - from German?
- Courage - from a rude Spanish metaphor?
- Group journey in specific continent - from Kiswahili?
- Hot steam bath - from Finnish?
- Happiness or blissful death through elightenment (literally 'blowing out') - from Sanskrit?
- Soft leather heelless shoe whose sole is upturned to form sides - from Virginian Algonquian?
- Military ruler, and Mitsubishi 4x4 - from Japanese?
quizballs 185 - free quiz answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
quizballs main page - more free trivia quizzes questions and answers
The use of this material is free provided copyright (see below) is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the www.businessballs.com website. This material may not be sold, or published in any form. Disclaimer: Reliance on information, material, advice, or other linked or recommended resources, received from Alan Chapman, shall be at your sole risk, and Alan Chapman assumes no responsibility for any errors, omissions, or damages arising. Users of this website are encouraged to confirm information received with other sources, and to seek local qualified advice if embarking on any actions that could carry personal or organisational liabilities. Managing people and relationships are sensitive activities; the free materials and advice available via this website do not provide all necessary safeguards and checks. Please retain this notice on all copies.
© A and V Chapman 2012. Quizballs 2004-2014.