quizballs 182 - diversity/words quiz 1 - questions without answers
free language diversity and general knowledge quiz - questions and answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games, learning and fun
This quiz illustrates the diversity of the English-speaking world. The words in the answers came into the English language from different languages. They reflect cultural diversity - people of different nationalities and ethnicities, etc., mixing together, and often adopting cultural behaviours as well as the language.
Quiz intro ...
This is a Businessballs Quizballs quiz. Quizballs are free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
Spelling note: Some UK-English and US-English spellings may vary, notably words ending in our/or, and ise/ize. Where appropriate please change the spellings to suit your local situation.
Corrections to quizzes are shown on the Quizballs index page - see Quizballs corrections.
see the quizballs.com quizzes website operated by businessballs
quizballs 182 - free language diversity and general knowledge questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
Two answers are required for each question -
- the 'non-English' word that was adopted into English, and
- the language from which it came (directly into English)
How many do you know? Some of the source languages are surprising.
- Dust or camouflage colour or material?
- Specialized raiding party soldier?
- Fondness for travel?
- View, and replacement windows?
- Cross symbol with loop for top element?
- Returning hunting weapon?
- Business magnate, originally 'great prince'?
- Gambling house?
- Hot Indian curry thought to refer originally to 'wine garlic sauce'?
- Popular animated movie and personal web pic?
- Dance event or nightclub?
- The Virgin Mary?
- Firm imposed instruction or resolution?
- Whirlpool or great turbulence?
- Vast Arctic mashlands with underlying permafrost?
- Racial segregation?
- Small one-person closed watertight canoe?
- Small four-stringed guitar?
- Unexpected good fortune or prosperous success?
quizballs 182 - free quiz answers for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes