quizballs 17 - football (soccer) quiz - questions without answers
free world cup and football (mainly england football) trivia quiz questions without answers - for pub quizzes, pub games, team games and fun
This is a page from the Quizballs zone of the Businessballs website. Quizballs provides free quiz questions and answers for trivia quizzes, team games, pub quizzes, general knowledge, learning and amusement. Use the quiz and questions and answers to suit your purposes, either as a stand-alone quiz, or to cut and paste to make your own quizzes.
Quizballs accepts no liability for any arguments, lost bets, or otherwise unfortunate consequences arising from any errors contained in these quizzes although quite a lot of effort is made to ensure that questions are clear and answers are correct. Please notify us of any errors, or questions or answers requiring clarification.
These quizzes are free to use in pub quizzes, trivia quizzes, organisational events and team-building, but are not to be sold or published, which includes not posting them on other websites, thank you.
These are the quiz questions. Here are the quiz answers with the questions. A link to the quiz answers also follows the questions below.
quizballs 17 - free world cup and football (soccer) quiz questions for trivia quizzes and pub quizzes
Note that 'football' in this quiz means 'soccer'. Some of these questions contain more than one element in the answers, so quizmasters and facilitators should decide before-hand how to award points or half-points for part-correct answers.
This quiz is mainly based on English football facts and England World Cup facts; my apologies to folk from other nations. I'm happy to publish quizzes featuring other sports and other nations if anyone would like to share.
Not all of these questions are about the World Cup.
Where the word captain is used it refers to captaincy of the senior team (not under-21's or youth teams etc).
- Where was the 1986 World Cup held?
- Who was the last player to captain England before David Beckham?
- What football club did Gordon Banks play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Fill in the missing name in this sequence of England managers: Ramsey, Mercer, Revie, ? , Robson.
- Which of these players never scored a hat-trick for England: Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker, Paul Scholes, Luther Blissett, Teddy Sheringham, Alan Shearer?
- England coaches Sammy Lee and Ray Clemence played together at which club?
- How many places were allocated to African teams for the 2006 World Cup?
- What did all these players win between 1989 and 1997: Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier, Lee Sharpe, Ryan Giggs, Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler and David Beckham?
- Aside from goalkeepers, which two England captains since 1966 never scored their country?
- Which of these players never captained England's senior team: Peter Beardsley, Paul Ince, David Seaman, Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks?
- Who was England's football manager in the 1970 World Cup?
- How many players in England's 2006 World Cup squad were also in the 1998 squad? And to ask a tougher question, name them..)
- Which manager first appointed David Beckham as England captain?
- Who was the first player to play for England who had not been born when England won the world cup in 1966?
- What was the score after extra time before England lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarter final of the European Championship in June 2004?
- In what World Cup did the England goals by Mariner, Robson and Francis feature in games against France, Czechoslovakia and Kuwait?
- Who was England's first national team manager (or 'coach', since interpretation of the job title back then is open to debate)?
- Whose injury made way for Geoff Hurst in England's 1966 World Cup team?
- Who was the first defender to captain England after Bobby Moore?
- What football club did Bobby Charlton play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Who was the first £100,000 (or above) football transfer?
- What decade was the white ball legalised in football?
- What did these players all win between 1963 and 1968: Lev Yashin, Dennis Law, Eusebio, Bobby Charlton, Florian Albert and George Best?
- Who was the first football transfer over £100,000 between English clubs?
- Where and when were the three World Cup tournaments that England failed to qualify for after 1966?
- Where was the 1962 World Cup held?
- Who were England's full backs in the 1966 World Cup Final?
- Who was the first £1m football transfer between English clubs?
- What football club did Bobby Moore play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Bobby Moore and Billy Wright share the record for the number of games as England captain with 90 each. At the start of the 2006 World Cup which player captained England the most times aside from Moore and Wright?
- Who was the first £2m football transfer between English clubs?
- What height and width is a football goal?
- What football club did Jackie Charlton play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Who, according to FIFA regulations, was responsible for supplying the footballs for the 2006 World Cup qualifying stage games?
- In what decade was England's first national team manager appointed?
- What football club did Roger Hunt play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- In what World Cups did Bryan Robson appear?
- What is the minimum rest period between two games for any team at the 2006 World Cup according to FIFA competition rules?
- Which 1970 World Cup England striker retired to run a successful West Midlands window cleaning business?
- Fill in the missing name in this sequence of England managers: Taylor, Venables, Hoddle, ? , Keegan.
- Who were England's three goalkeepers in the 1982 World Cup?
- What did all of these players win between 1995 and 1999: Jurgen Klinsmann, Eric Cantona, Gian Franco Zola, Dennis Bergkamp and David Ginola?
- What football club did Nobby Stiles play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Which past England captain is the only player in English football to have captained an English Football League-winning club in three different decades?
- How many places were allocated to European teams for the 2006 World Cup, including the hosts Germany?
- Who appeared most times for England and how many times?
- Between the 1966 and 2006 World Cups only four England captains have played for three different clubs while captaining their country, who are they?
- What football club did Geoff Hurst play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- What decade was the crossbar introduced in Football?
- Who broke his neck in the 1956 FA Cup Final?
- Who was the first football transfer over £10m between English clubs?
- Who replaced David Seaman as England's third choice goalkeeper in the 1990 World Cup squad after Seaman injured his thumb in training?
- Where was the 1978 World Cup held?
- FIFA's 2006 World Cup rules dictate a squad size of how many players?
- In what World Cup did Mark Hateley and Gary Lineker wear the 9 and 10 shirts?
- What did each of these players win between 1996 and 2000: Matthias Sammer, Ronaldo, Zinedine Zedane, Rivaldo, and Luis Figo?
- Where was the 1998 World Cup held?
- Who was the first black footballer to win a full England cap?
- What football club did Martin Peters play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Which manager took England to the semi-final of the world cup in 1990?
- Whose last game as manager of England was a 0-0 draw away to Portugal in 1974?
- It is said that an international football match in 1969 started a war between which two nations in the central Americas?
- What football club did George Cohen play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- How many medals will be awarded to each of the first, second and third placed teams at the 2006 World Cup?
- Who were England's four successful penalty takers in the winning 4-2 penalty shoot-out against Spain in the Euro-96 Championship quarter-final at Wembley?
- What football club did Ray Wilson play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- Which team did England beat in the 1990 World Cup when Gary Lineker's second successful penalty of the game gave England victory in extra time?
- What football club did Alan Ball play for when he won his 1966 World Cup medal?
- In the event of a team failing to fulfil or complete a match at the 2006 World Cup Final tournament, what is the score awarded to the other team by the organising committee?
- Who scored England's dying seconds winner against Belgium in the 1990 World Cup?
- How many managers had been in charge of the England football team before Alf Ramsey?
- Who was England's goalkeeper in the losing game against Germany in the 1970 World Cup?
- Who was Everton's representative in England's 1966 World Cup winning team?
- Where are the headquarters of FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association)?
- How many players in England's 2006 World Cup squad had previously captained their country? (Or to ask a tougher question, name them..)
quizballs 17 - free world cup and football quiz answers for trivia quizzes, team games and pub quizzes
quizballs main page - more free trivia quizzes questions and answers
- cliches and expressions and slang words origins
- acronyms and abbreviations with meanings and descriptions
The use of this material is free provided copyright (see below) is acknowledged and reference or link is made to the www.businessballs.com website. This material may not be sold, or published in any form. Disclaimer: Reliance on information, material, advice, or other linked or recommended resources, received from Alan Chapman, shall be at your sole risk, and Alan Chapman assumes no responsibility for any errors, omissions, or damages arising. Users of this website are encouraged to confirm information received with other sources, and to seek local qualified advice if embarking on any actions that could carry personal or organisational liabilities. Managing people and relationships are sensitive activities; the free material and advice available via this website do not provide all necessary safeguards and checks. Please retain this notice on all copies.
© Content Alan and Viv Chapman 2006-11. Quizballs 2004-2013.